Certificate in Circular Economy
About this course
The circular economy (CE) challenges the fundamentals of how we manufacture, distribute, use and consume products and services. It is recognised as the most systemic shift in global industrial economics since the industrial revolution and has the attention of policymakers, CEOs, business and society at large. Responding to and embracing the business models, supply chains and enabling technologies of the circular economy requires new knowledge, skills and networks. This Certificate in Circular Economy will provide participants with state-of-the-art knowledge on the circular economy model versus traditional linear business/economic models, outlining how the circular economic model can achieve the sustainability goals of a business.
In semester 1, students will take “Circular Economy: A framework for a sustainable economy and society” engaging with CE theory, frameworks and practices, business models, material flows, value chains and the e-business case for CE. This module includes the Circular Economy in practice series with case studies exploring resource management, plastics and packaging, supply chains and logistics, ICT as a CE enabler, circular food systems, towns, cities, and regions. Semester 2 will focus on ‘Innovate Circular: Strategies and Planning’ which explores systems innovation and circular design strategies to enable the companies to transition to more circular operations and key skills on communicating the circular economy, policy and funding.
- Circular Economy
- Innovate Circular
Applicants must hold a minimum NFQ level 7 degree in science, business, management, engineering, or a relevant degree area. Ideally candidates will possess relevant experience in one of the following areas: manufacturing, research and development, supply chain, procurement, engineering sales & marketing in one or more of the following sectors: manufacturing, supply chain management, agriculture, food & beverage, life science, chemical, packaging, waste management or construction. The University’s policy in relation to recognition of prior learning (RPL) also applies.
Fees do not apply to applicants who meet the Springboard+ initiative funding criteria. For employed applicants the HEA will pay 90% of the programme fee, the remaining 10% – €145 will be payable before registration. For applicants who do not meet the Springboard+ eligibility criteria the fee is €1,450.
Lifelong Learning Department
Phone: 066 7191701
Key Programme details
Type of award: Major
NFQ Level: Level 8
Closing date: 19 August 2022